Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Theo Asir

Default RMV... What do you do after?

"Unique Too" wrote in message
I found the following errors in the sites you mentioned. When a site

contains
two items of misinformation I start to doubt the reliabilty of the rest of
their information. Cleaning your pruners between plants isn't a bad idea,

but
since symptoms of RMV may not show up for several years you would have to
disinfect everytime you work on a different plant.

"Mosaic:
snip
Control:
snip
Plant virus resistant roses if possible. "

There is no such thing as an RMV resistant rose. If you graft an infected

root
to a healthy cutting, it will be infected.

True.
I assume they meant virus free stock.

I realize this may change your cultural practice
but seriously, sterilizing between plants is good
advice for other diseases as well. most notably
crown gall.

Also this is such a grey area. When
in doubt sterilize. you can try to get tetanus
deliberately for years and not get it, but
it takes just one random infection in literally
millions of tries to kill you.

"Rosette and Witches Broom:
snip
Control:
The exact cause of this disease is unknown. Infected plants cannot be

cured.
Try to control insects, particularly leaf hoppers and plant hoppers....."

RRD is caused by a mite. And there is an insecticide which kills the

mites
that spread the disease. See Ann Peck's site for more details.
http://web.ntown.net/~apeck/index.htm

Its not 'caused' by a mite, its spread by it.
But no one knows the cause really. probably a virus.
I realize ann peck is a supposed expert
by this is truly laughable.

First the mites are too small to be seen.
So how do you know you have a
mite infestation. Usually when the
disease manifests, its too late.

Second if it is for preventing further
spread in your garden RRD is really
a rural garden disease. It comes from
elsewhere on the wind. how do you
cut off the source.

Near where I live RRD has a strong rural
presence. but Multiflora is becoming resistant
and will no doubt continue to act as a carrier.

Slash & burn is probably the only effective
method available.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City