Old 07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
al

Default Plants for new garden at this time of year?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

When you have deeply dug and prepared a good big planting hole, (but
before you put the plant in) completely fill it with water, and let the
water drain away. On very dry soils, you could do this twice. Take the
plant out of the pot, tease its roots a little with your fingers and
plant it. Now water the ground around it again, very thoroughly. If your
area is extremely hot and dry, cover the soil above the plants roots
with a mulch of home made compost, or pebbles, or even old cardboard
held by stones, any of which will help the soil below stay damp.

Janet.

Thanks for the tip. If I leave small trees/large shrubs in big pots I take
it they'll need more attention in terms of watering and adding nutrients and
can't just be left to nature's mercy?