Old 07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
mel turner

Default Can someone identify this plant?

In article ,
wrote...

OK, I concede. No point in quarreling with the evidence!
Glad you have it to name.
PvR

Well, you had me mostly convinced that it must be something else,
although I couldn't go along with the Lauraceae idea [I've
never seen any Lauraceae with heads anything like this, and few
if any with opposite leaves]. If those were fruits and not flower
buds, it obviously couldn't be Morinda or any other Rubiaceae, but
I still had no good ideas where else to start looking.

Greg G schreef
Actually, I think you (mel) might have it with the Morinda Citrifolia. The
"fruit" shown on the pages that you posted was present around the tree. I
guess I failed to make the association between the spiky ball on the tree
and other (I assume more mature) brainy looking clumps that were around. I
was told that it was originally imported, IIRC from some polynesian

island, to Costa Rica. It is locally called "Noni" and has been used by the
nearby BriBri tribe as a cure-all medicine.

Interestingly, some of those Morinda web pages also called it
"noni", so that's further evidence.

Apparently it has also caused a
craze in the health food / alternative medicine industries.

Again, also shown by the Morinda web search results.

The owner of the farm did show me a ripe "fruit" and it was the most
malodorous clump of juice I ever had the misfortune to handle. It left a
disgusting smell on my hand that was very hard to wash away.

Thanks for the info everyone! Definitely take a trip to CR if you ever get

a chance. There is enough to see and do to keep any curious person busy for
a long time. Plus it is cheap and the beer is excellent.

Agreed.

cheers