Old 07-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Gary Rich

Default Will bamboo penetrate pond linders?

Chris Herring wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Sorry, I am diverting off-topic here..

This sounds like an interesting idea. I would like to plant bamboo next to a
fence, and I have been wondering about the best way to contain it. Did you
consider the possibility that the sheet metal might rust away? If I
understand you correctly, you essentially made an in-ground "planter" for
the bamboo.. sides and bottom of the trench are sheet metal. What about
drainage (apparently not a problem as your bamboo seems happy)?

One of my big concerns is that there is a large oak tree near the fence. I
don't want to disturb the roots of the oak by digging a trench.. now I am
wondering about building a planter above ground, and lining it with perhaps
sheet metal..

Chris

The sheet metal will rust away eventually, so you are asking for some
long term maintenence as you eventually dig it out and replace it. EDPM
is a longer lasting solution. One thing I see commercial planters do
(Six Flags amusement parks as an example) is cut the bottom out of a
EDPM trash can and plant the bamboo in there. The root tips don't dive
down that far so it will contain it. Put gravel or something in the
bottom to ensure good drainage.

Boo and oak together may be asking for trouble. Bamboo needs copious
amounts of water during its growing season. Oak (at least all the oak
varieties in the west) need dry feet all summer long or they become weak
and sickly. Summer watering of oaks in yards and parkways is one of the
leading causes of disease and death of the trees.

garyr