Old 07-08-2003, 10:14 PM
mel turner

Default Can someone identify this plant?

In article , [P
van Rijckevorsel] wrote...
mel turner schreef

Well, you had me mostly convinced that it must be something else,
although I couldn't go along with the Lauraceae idea [I've
never seen any Lauraceae with heads anything like this, and few
if any with opposite leaves]. If those were fruits and not flower
buds, it obviously couldn't be Morinda or any other Rubiaceae, but
I still had no good ideas where else to start looking.

+ + +
I suppose that those receptacle-lookalikes gave me the wrong idea, even if
in Lauraceae, whatever form they take (quite a bit of variation possible)
they tend to be neatly cylindrical in circumference.
Indeed those heads are unlauraceous [?] but inflorescences like Umbellularia
californica do exist and something similar might result in a "head" of
fruits.

Opposite leafs do occur in Lauraceae, but are not common.

I guess I should be more careful when it comes to guessing

[shrug] I don't really see why you should-- there's
no penalty for anyone proposing a plausible hypothesis that
seems to fit the data, even if it later gets rejected.

cheers