Old 08-08-2003, 01:14 AM
Lee Brouillet

Default H20 changes vs. SA - which is better?

I'm becoming suspect of rainwater! Last weekend, we had a deluge, something
like 7 inches in about 2 hours. I monitor ORP in my pond (simple
explanation: oxygen reduction potential). The higher the number, the better
your pond water. Mine usually runs in the 320-370 range. After the rain, it
dropped to 130! That's how much pollution there was in the rainwater! And
acid: it dropped my KH by nearly 100 ppm. I hope *your* rain is better than
MY rain G!

I'm happy to know that I was able to help. The one thing I found out about
this hobby is that ignorance is bliss: the more I learn, the more I find out
I NEED to learn (long sigh).

Perhaps you can get yourself a long, tall, cool one, sit by the pond
(assuming a Zen attitude) and just gently "tease" the stuff from the other
roots? That's what I do with the SA when it infringes on the WH roots . . .
Now granted, it may take a FEW long, tall, cool ones to get in the right
frame of mind!

Lee

"Mike Miller" wrote in message
I really appreciate both of your advice. Lee, your pond is 3 years old?
Mine is 2 years old last week, and I remember reading many of your posts

for
advice as I was starting - you were such a useful font of info 2 years ago
for me!

The SA problem lies in the edges where it tangles in the parrot feather or
water cress (both just wedged into rocks under the water, no soil) and

also
in the WH roots, so I can't really harvest all of it out w/o ripping apart
other plant roots. So, I guess I'll just keep doing the water changes and
think about a rainwater collector for next year.