Old 08-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Pete

Default Transparent hedge in winter

"David Hill" wrote in message
Get a load of cuttings of Lonicera Natidia, early October, and stick them

in
6 inches or more, along the base of the existing hedge every 6 inches,
single or double row, they will root over the winter then grow up through
the hedge, not all will survive but I think you will be surprised at the
number that take.
I did this 3 years ago and the hedge now looks as if it is 50 % lonicera.
and if you can scrounge the cuttings then its also a very cheap solution

Hmm - interesting suggestion.

But I haven't got any room at all on the footpatch side (overhangs) and not
a lot of room on the back side - it would really need to go in its place.
Would it grow up the middle and would it struggle for light and food with
the existing growing again in the spring? Existing is maybe 3 feet deep or
more.

Or would it be worth chopping the existing hedge half back as much as I can
(i.e. chop it 'in half' from the back) and planting the Lonicera to grow
into the back of it?

Pete

--
David Hill