Old 08-08-2003, 02:32 AM
B & J

Default "Black Knight" Butteryfly Bush

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
The label for the plant was an actual label stuck to the surface of
the pot, so it wasn't a shopper accidentally switching tags, but a
nursery or grower error. The funny thing is, we went to a couple of
nurseries in pursuit of a Black Knight, and one nursery had this same
lighter purple and called it a Black Knight. We thought they were
crazy. So we returned to the one place in town that had the deep dark
Black Knight, and purchased a smaller specimen that wasn't in bloom
yet. Weeks later we discovered the error.

Is Nanho Purple the same deep, almost black purple as Black Knight?
And just how large does it get? And would you mind passing along the
URL for Blue Stone?

Thanks!

-Fleemo

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. We were away on vacation.
No, Nanho Purple is not the almost black purple you asked for, but I like it
better than the Black Knight that I now have because of its restrained
growing habit and number of blossoms. If you read Tyra's post, you'll find
an excellent description of the plant. BTW, butterfly bushes are extremely
easy to start from cuttings. One of my gardening friends saw it in my yard
and asked me to start a plant for him about six weeks ago. I took a six inch
end cutting from the plant, stripped off the bottom leaves, dipped the stem
in rooting hormone, and put it in a tall three inch put full of Pro Mix. I
then set the pot in a container in the shade with about an inch of water in
the bottom and kept that much water in the container for a couple of weeks.
The plant is now about a foot tall and starting to bloom.

Here's the URL for Bluestone:

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/c...cgi/index.html

John