Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 AM
/\\/\\ichau

Default Are Lichens Plants?

On 7/1/03 3:26 PM, Iris Cohen wrote:

I know we sometimes discuss lichens here. Not that I would tell anyone not to.
They are a symbiotic combination of a fungus and an alga.

Besides of green algas, there are also cyanobacterias (prokaryotic
blue-green algas) as photosyntetical partner. It depends what you call
'alga'. This is also not *taxonomical*, but common (traditional) name.

Are they still considered plants?

Yes, in *wide* and common meaning of this word. The same as 'alga'.

Is lichenology still a branch of botany? What about mycology?

Yes, traditionally. Or mycology if you wish Lichenology is a branch
of mycology, and mycology is traditionally a brach of botany... ;-P

train."

Huh!
Regards,
--
/\/\ichal Smoczyk, msmoczykNOSPAM(at)wp.pl
===delete 'NOSPAM' from my adress===