Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 AM
/\\/\\ichau

Default Are Lichens Plants?

On 7/2/03 4:11 AM, mel turner wrote:
I know we sometimes discuss lichens here. Not that I would tell anyone not to.
They are a symbiotic combination of a fungus and an alga.

But the lichen species is the fungal species. Many species of lichens
share fewer species of algal symbiont.

Yes, I agree. That's why we call them /lichen forming/ and
/lichenicolous/ fungi. Most of them are ascomycetes, occasionally the
fungus is a basidiomycete (AFAIK in tropics) or deuteromycete (imperfect
fungus). There are also parastic and saprophytic fungi which occurs on
lichens. And lichens are fungi especially adapted to obtain food from
algae living in their hyphae (like prisoners in prison from hyphae

Regards,
--
/\/\ichau, msmoczykNOSPAM(at)wp.pl
Website said: "Use Internet Explorer 5 or better". So i used Mozilla.