Old 08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
animaux

Default Bluebonnets!

Like most peas, the seeds have to be fully ripened and the pod completely dry on
the plant.

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:50:53 +0200, Igloo wrote:

I have a pretty little crop of Bluebonnets going now in a window box in
Anchorage, AK, but I am wondering if there is any way to speed up the
process to harvest the seeds, or if they will ever become viable if
separated prematurely from the plant. (We only have about 6-8 more
weeks before the light will begin to fail and the evenings get too
cold.) Does anyone know how long it takes for the seeds to ripen and
"pop" once the little fuzzy beans appear?

One year I tried to keep the plants going by bringing them in and
putting them under a grow light, but they wasted and died almost
instantaneously.

ANybody have any suggestions? I suppose I can just keep planting bought
seeds every year, but I'd love to make them self-sustaining.

Thanks!