Old 08-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Golden bamboo goes walkabout

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Paul Kelly" contains these words:

a little while ago I posted a query about the spreading habits of

Golden
Bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea). Advice at the time was that despite it

ofetn
being described as a clump former it does tend to spread.

Well..... my observation is that the bugger puts its new growth up to

find
daylight, if it finds some it is happy. If it doesn't because it has

found
the underside of the landscaping fabric below the gravel, it is equally
happy to take the horizontal route between ground and fabric until it

meets
the boundary of the area beit 50cm or 5m from the clump.

P - now bambooless - K

Sounds as if the terrorist bamboo broke out of your garden by force
and is now at large in the neighbourhood.

Janet

Fortunately, the fence side has an old concrete footing along the fence line
so the neighbour's patio is safe. But I removed something like 30m of runner
from my 5*3m area!

pk