Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Gary Woods

Default Garlic

"Lee BARRASS" wrote:

However, a strange flower grew at the tip, and when I broke it open it
seemed to be a large number of mini garlic cloves. What are these?

Looks like you have a "hardneck" type garlic... these produce bulbils that
can, indeed be planted in the fall, but it will take a couple of seasons to
produce full-sized bulbs. Too late now, but these should be cut off when
they appear to put all the energy into the bulb.

Store-bought garlic is dicey, because you don't know the variety and where
it does best. Some people do fine with it; I stick with known varieties.
Like quality seed, it's cheap compared to the work of growing it.