Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 PM
hrafndot hrafndot is offline
Registered User

Location: London
Smile

We installed a nesting box by our kitchen door. Two robins moved in and bred. To our horror, the fledgeling(s) fled the box before they could fly and in my panic I was climbing ladders and trying to persuade protesting fledgling back into the nest.

We were later told that robins know exactly what to do to ensure survival of at least one of their brood (by spreading the young around over several gardens, alarm systems etc). It is normal for fledglings to evacuate the nest before they can fly.

The mother is still feeding her young and we have found that their favourite food is mealworms bought over the net (www.birdfood.co.uk). They seem to be better kept than those we have bought at petshops. I know that the ethics of feeding wild birds are questionable but with urban cats they have such a precarious life and we are enjoying their company very much.

Mrs robin had a lovely bath on our patio today and she is quite adept at letting us know whenever she needs something!!

Rachel & Brian