Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Weeding a lawn

"PJ" wrote in message
. com...
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:44:19 +0100, hugh wrote
(in message ):

If your not averse to chemicals use something like Verdone spot weed
killer

I don't know if I am adverse to chemicals actually. I'm going to try
non-chemical means first and if the results are good I'll stick with
non-chemicals.

As I am very new to this I think I'll try organic methods first and if I

run
into a lot of work/hassle I'll try a chemical.

In April I used EverGreen Lawn Food liquid on the lawn and I wonder if

that
is a non-organic activity? I guess it must be as the "food" is a

chemical...

Plants can only take in fairly simple inorganic chemicals. Any organic
substances like horse manure and compost have to be broken up into
*inorganic* chemicals before the roots can make use of them.

To the best of my knowledge, the main reasons why feeding inorganic
chemicals is to be frowned upon is that farmers and gardeners usually put
vastly too much of them in the soil, and that they do not all provide the
minor elements which the plants need

To forestall criticism, please note that I am talking about feeding plants,
and not about improving the soil on a long term basis.

[Franz Heymann]