Old 08-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Gary M

Default "Chemicals"

animaux wrote in
:

The moment you tell us where you live (no not the address!) I
guarantee myself and ten other people can easily tell you how to do
it.

It is central Massachusetts. I am never sure whether I'm Zone 5 or 6 as I
seem to be on the line, slightly east of Worcester. Most of my lawn is
exposed to sun most of the day. I have about 17K sq feet of it, 50%
sloped. As best as I can tell, I have a blend of perennial ryegrass, tall
fescue and kentucky bluegrass. Lawn is 3 months old. It is cut weekly to
3 or 4 inches by a cutting crew. I have checked the cut blades and they
are square, so I think they do a good job. I plan to do that myself next
year when I can find the right tool for the job. As mentioned I have an
extensive outbreak of brown patch at the moment. The grass seems to be
recovering in the early patches and spread has ceased. If it recurs, I am
inclined to try the "cornmeal" approach. Other ideas welcome.

Thanks for you assistance. I am very serious about trying something
different. I do hear of people getting infested with grubs and losing the
whole lawn. I am especially curious to know if there are ways of dealing
with those things, aside from chemical pesticides?

Gary