Old 08-08-2003, 11:22 PM
SugarChile

Default Water & fertilize bulbs in spring or fall?

"Pelvis Popcan" wrote in message
Thanks for the input! So the bulb is NOT dormant in the fall then, as
root growth is taking place.

That's correct. The root growth actually starts in late summer, as I've
found to my bemusement when I've been late to dig and divide. This is also
why new bulbs are planted in the fall, so they have time to develope roots
before winter sets in.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do the Iris then as well I'm betting.

Well, I wouldn't be too quick to take that leap of faith.....These are two
very different types of plants we're talking about. The daffodils are true
bulbs, and the iris are rhizomes. The daffodils don't have foliage in the
fall, so there's no danger of pushing them into green growth that won't
harden off properly. The iris do have top growth, and need to go dormant,
so I think that would contraindicate fertilization. As I understand it,
irises shouldn't be heavily fertilized at all--it can make them more
susceptible to borers and rot--but I'm not the iris expert, perhaps someone
else will chime in here.

Cheers,
Sue