Old 09-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Bahia

Default Lawn/turf question

Please see my response to another poster. We are very open to the idea
of groundcover. We have talked to 2 landscapers, both of whom suggested
grass (even though we told them we would consider grass OR groundcover).

We are in Florida. The area to be covered is a bit shady and quite
damp. We need something that will hold on to the soil NOW, not
something we will have to cultivate carefully for 6 months in order to
get it to spread. We are on a sloping site and have problems with
erosion. We are working on the drainage (retention wall put in today!)
but definitely need a ground cover that will be off to a running start!

Joseph Meehan wrote:

I would also second the suggestion that you consider something other
than grass for the site. Other ground covers may be a better choice.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Bahia" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:

There are a number of alternatives. You might try covering the area
with a black plastic for a couple of weeks, that should take care of

most
weeds.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Thanks! We're new to lawns/gardens (our lot is basically an acre of
woods) so this did not occur to us, and wasn't mentioned in the
site-prep articles we read. Sounds like a great idea for serious
consideration.