Old 09-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Borage (Off Topic - Top Posting discussion)

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Following up to Jeff Coles

Poor Mike Read only got a couple of replies before the
thread went barmy!)

Its OK, i'm enjoying the same old top/bottom debate, just with
different people :-)
I shall put some borage seed in next spring and assume it will self
seed the way it appears to have done on a neighbouring allotment,
perhaps one day I will get a chance to ask the owner. It slighlty
amazes me that there are several other allotmenters I have only ever
seen once or twice even though I go all different times.

Perhaps they go all different times too?

Talking of self-set seeds, I started turning some of the lawn in the
pocket-handkerchief of my front garden into a bed. Some of the seeds
which have germinated there are to be expected: grasses, spurges,
dandelions, thistles, violas, etc, but some plants surprise me.

Nicotinia - I would not have expected the seeds to have survived the
winter, but they almost form a carpet.
Foxgloves - dunno where the nearest plant is
Lobelia, but no alyssum.
Last, but by no means least, a groundnut.

Actually, the last one doesn't surprise me too much: assuming the actual
peanut to be hardy, about six feet away from where it was growing I put
out a net of nuts for the birds when it was cold, and kept it topped-up.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.