Old 09-08-2003, 03:23 AM
Don Foster

Default Feeding the World?

Taking an earlier post one step further...

An exploration into the notion of how Iowa farmers would fare in feeding
the world produced an unlikely result: the soy and corn crops of
thirty-five Iowa(s) would feed the worlds population at 3500 Cal./day.
Further comparison with total area in cultivation worldwide is more
curious. I would appreciate a review of my figuring if someone is willing.

Estimated world population 5/23/03 = 6,294,523,715 human beings

World kcal. requirements @ 3500 Kcal./day/human being = 2.20308E+13 kcal.

World kcal. requirements/year = 8.04125E+15 kcal.

Iowa 2002 corn = 1,960,000,000 bushels
Iowa 2002 soy = 494,900,000 bushels

Iowa 2002 corn @ 56 lb./bushel =1.0976E+11 lbs.
Iowa 2002 soy @ 60 lb./bushel = 2.9694E+10 lbs.

Kcal./lb corn = 1828 kcal./lb
Kcal./lb soy = 1579 kcal./lb

Kcal. Iowa corn 2002 = 1.7331E+14 kcal.
Kcal. Iowa soy 2002 = 5.4281E+13 kcal.

Total kcal. Iowa corn & soy 2002 = 2.27592E+14 kcal/year

World annual kcal. requirements/ Iowa 2002 corn & soy kcal. production =
35.33

So, by the number, an area of roughly thirty five times that which Iowa
has in corn and soy production could feed the world's population at 3500
Kcal/day.

Taking it one step further, we can compare the acreage Iowa has in corn
and soy with the total acreage in cultivation worldwide. Figures as
follows:

Iowa 2001 soy =11,000 acres
Iowa 2001 corn =11,700 acres
Total Iowa acres = 22,700 acres

Total world cultivation = 17,820,900 sq. kilometers
Total world cultivation = 4,403,483,977 acres (@ 247.01 acres/sq.kilometer
)
Ratio - Total world cultivation/Total Iowa acres = 193,986

So, while a hypothetical area roughly 35 times that of Iowa's in corn
and soy should be sufficient to feed every person on the planet; an
actual area roughly 194,000 times that of Iowa's is insufficient.

Somewhat surprising, yes? Illumination?

My thanks,
Don Foster
Colorado