Old 09-08-2003, 04:14 AM
coelacabth

Default Light terminology?

The 10K and actinic bulbs are for marine aquaria. They produce
great colors but not much spectrum that plants can use. Assuming
you'ce got a freshwater tank, you want bulbs between 5000 and
6700 K. Most people say bulbs in this range are interchangable
as far as plant growth is concerned. Personally, I like the 6500K
bulb because it's more white (less yellow) and makes the
fish look great.

For more information (and a great supplier of lighting stuff) check
out Aquarium Hobby Supply http://www.ahsupply.com/bulbs.htm

-coelacanth

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the help with the lighting/plant problem. I know, now,
that I have way too little light for the plants. In my 55 gallon I
have two separate hoods that each have an 18" fluorescent bulb with
the standard two pins on each end. I have been searching for a
replacement bulb, but it seems that I would need something around 55W
each. I can't find a good site that explains exactly what each bulb
is. Actinic, 10000K, light spectrum??? I just want to have healthy
plants and fish. Can someone direct me to a site that would
explain some of this, or just give a quick rundown on what I could
use?
Thanks for any help!