Old 09-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Michelle Fulton

Default Feeding the World?

"Don Foster" wrote in message
An exploration into the notion of how Iowa farmers would fare in feeding

the world produced an unlikely result: the soy and corn crops of
thirty-five Iowa(s) would feed the worlds population at 3500 Cal./day.
Further comparison with total area in cultivation worldwide is more
curious. I would appreciate a review of my figuring if someone is willing.

I don't have a clue about any of your other figures, and I'm just jumping in
because I'm bored, but isn't 3500 cal/day an awful lot? I think 2000 is a
more appropriate average need, but maybe I'm just think of the lazy
industrialized population????