Old 09-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Arrhae

Default Hagen BioLife internal wet/dry filter?

On 8/8/03 8:20 PM, in article
, "Dave"
wrote:

Have you considered going no-filter? Maybe just a submerged powerhead, to
keep
the water moving. You'll have plants to serve as your filter.

I have considered this, though I've heard that even in a heavily
planted tank, one should have a low fishload if there is no other
biological filter. My tank has a fairly high fishload and I'll
probably keep it that way.

If you've got a powerhead, though, there's no reason not to add a
quickfilter to it, pop some random biocrud of your choice in one or both of
the internal chambers if you're one that tends to change the media that
comes with it pretty often, and there you go...

If you do leave the BioLife in, while it takes up a lot of space, it also
can provide a bit of a cave for some of your fish underneath, especially if
you've got plants in front of it...