Old 09-08-2003, 06:03 AM
James Curts

Default Feeding the World?

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
"Don Foster" wrote in message
An exploration into the notion of how Iowa farmers would fare in

feeding
the world produced an unlikely result: the soy and corn crops of
thirty-five Iowa(s) would feed the worlds population at 3500 Cal./day.
Further comparison with total area in cultivation worldwide is more
curious. I would appreciate a review of my figuring if someone is

willing.

I don't have a clue about any of your other figures, and I'm just jumping

in
because I'm bored, but isn't 3500 cal/day an awful lot? I think 2000 is a
more appropriate average need, but maybe I'm just think of the lazy
industrialized population????

I'm just tagging along here but the numbers thing interests me. Many of the
folks I help support would believe they were hosts of an unlimited
supermarket with much less than even 2000 cal/day.

James Curts