Old 09-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Bahia

Default Lawn/turf question

Phisherman wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:05:29 -0400, Bahia
wrote:

We have decided to plant a small section of our acre with grass (mainly
to keep the soil in place, since our property is sloped and we're having
a problem with drainage and erosion). The area is about 20 by 50 feet.

All the advice I read on the internet suggests killing off all weeds
with an herbicide prior to laying sod. I do not want to do this because
even the safest herbicides can affect wildlife (plus we live on a creek,
and the herbicides would inevitably wash into it).

Does anybody here have experience with handpulling all the
weeds/volunteers prior to laying sod, and did this work well for you?
Any other suggestions for how we could get rid of the weeds prior to
laying sod?

Finally, any other advice sodding our lawn? (We're in FLorida).
We've read the brochures from the University extension service, but we
would love to hear about your personl experience. Thanks in advance!

It is a lot of work to pull the weeds. Work when the soil is damp,
after a rain. It would certainly help to have more than one person
doing the task. Listen carefully to your local experienced people
about the various types of grass that grow well in your climate.
Using the best grass type for your climate will greatly reduce your
maintenance chores and increase your chance of a nice lawn.

Thanks for the input. There will be two of us pulling weeds. Another
poster suggested covering the area with plastic for a couple of weeks,
which sounds like a good idea to kill things off. There are two
possibilities of turf type that we can consider, with St. Augustine
grass being the type we will probably end up using.