Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Mark Anderson

Default too late to prune tomatoes ??

In article says...
Tomatoes can go up and they can go down--no problem--you could take some twine
and tie the drooping branch near a fruit clusterto the cage for added support.
Tomatoes are sprawlers and are happy going every which way--take advantage of
your eager plants desire to grow and producem forget this pruning nonsense.

I read up on pruning and pruned once very early in the year when the
plants were just starting to grow funny. I followed the instructions and
pruned the suckers. Now they're huge and I'm getting big tomatoes this
year. Last year all my tomatoes were small and I had a lot of yellow
leaves. I grow my tomatoes out of big containers BTW. After the plants
got big, it was very difficult to figure out what to prune and what not
to prune so I just let nature take it's course. I do think, based upon
my anecdotal evidence, that my early pruning did help the plants grow
decent sized tomatoes this year. YMMV.

This was the size of the tomatoes on June 13 and I pruned them a week
later...

http://www.brandylion.com/images/tomatos-061303.jpg