Old 09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Judy Donovan

Default Help please on pruning old rose bushes

Hi,
We inherited a couple of old shrub roses when we moved into our house (I
believe they are Rosa Windrush). They both flower well but unfortunately
they are in a spot that we intend to turn over to vegetables. I'd really
like to keep them and I'm sure we can fit the veg beds around them, but they
have been supported by an old dilapidated trellis that we need to move now
to start clearing the ground ready for autumn digging. So my questions a

1. As they're very top heavy they're all the green growth that had flowers
on is flopping over and I'm worried that the strain will break or damage the
stems. They're pretty much finished flowering - I know technically it's not
the right time of year but can I prune them back now to prevent them getting
damaged?

2. If and when I prune how much can I take off? There's about 3 ft of old
wood before any flowering shoots start. Is there anything I can do to
encourage new growth lower down the shrub?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks
Judy