Old 09-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Wanda

Default Improving Soil & Varieties of Clumping Tomatoes?

Thanks for your response Chookie. The soil is still very sandy & drains well
despite all the goodies I added to it.

Today I planted some lemon grass, snow peas , parsly & rosemary in the
garden bed. There's still plenty of room for some smaller plants along the
front of the bed, I'm thinking of maybe putting some strawberries in,
although I have strawberry plants in one of the front garden beds... I've
also got a Thai chilli on order,atleast I think that's what it is. The plant
has variegated leaves with small, mild chillies that are purple in colour.

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Wanda" wrote:

I've installed some retic,
connecting it to a nearby tap with a manual timer. I've also attacked

the
soil with lots of wettasoil, slow release fertiliser & dynamic lifter.

Is
there anything else I should do or use? Perhaps mushroom compost or worm
poo?

I'll just warn you that a lot of herbs are from the Mediterranean and

prefer
poorer soils and not too much water. Any grey-leafed herb usually likes a

dry
spot, so be conservative with the watering. Given the tight space I would
plant a variety of cherry tomato at one end of the bed -- they are happy

droop on the ground around the bed and will bear very heavily.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990