Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Jan Flora

Default Compost ingredients?

In article , Andrew McMichael
wrote:

Someone upstream in this thread mentioned leaving out manures of any kind,
because of the danger. The agricultural extension of our local college
composts the local leaves in fall, mixes them with pig manure from their
farms, and then sells it to us locals. They've never had any problems.

Went to the agro-farm the other day and asked if I could muck their stalls and
throw the nastiness in my pickup bed. The guy looked at me like I was insane,
laughed, and said "suit yourself."

Andrew

We're selling 30-50 year old composted cow manure. (Forgive me if I'm
repeating myself. It's been a long month. We're haying.)

Anyway, an organic gardener showed up with 2 dumptrucks to get the composted
cow poop. She was ecstatic, because it's ready to till into her beds and
she didn't
have to shovel it out of barns herself -- we loaded her dumptrucks with our big
farm tractor. (Her husband is a trucking contractor, so she got her kid & nephew
to come out after work with the trucks.)

I've been digging the compost into my garden beds. Everything looks like it's
on steroids.

You can imagine the logo I want to run with: "Get a load of our sh*t," but
I don't
think my SO will let me do it... *sigh*

Jan