Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Jan Flora

Default Green Tomatoes????

In article , Pat Meadows
wrote:

[...]

I don't know if tomatoes are day-length sensitive or not:
if they are, I can supplement the natural lights with a
fluorescent light or two.

If anyone *does* know whether or not tomatoes are day-length
sensitive, would you please post it? Thanks.

Pat

They'll just get real leggy if they have to reach for light. My
cousin grows 'maters in her south facing window all winter long
up here in Alaska. (And peppers.) We get down to about 7 hours
of real daylight at winter solstice (Dec. 21) at this latitude, so
tomatoes must not be too picky about day-length. I know Bernie
doesn't use any grow lights, but her south facing window is big
and doesn't have any obstructions (trees/shrubs) shading it.

She grows indeterminates, that threaten to take her living room
over by spring. (Winter lasts from Halloween to May Day here.)

Jan