Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Green Tomatoes????

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:35:02 -0800, (Jan
Flora) wrote:

They'll just get real leggy if they have to reach for light. My
cousin grows 'maters in her south facing window all winter long
up here in Alaska. (And peppers.) We get down to about 7 hours
of real daylight at winter solstice (Dec. 21) at this latitude, so
tomatoes must not be too picky about day-length. I know Bernie
doesn't use any grow lights, but her south facing window is big
and doesn't have any obstructions (trees/shrubs) shading it.

She grows indeterminates, that threaten to take her living room
over by spring. (Winter lasts from Halloween to May Day here.)

Thanks, Jan. That's good to know. We have a huge bay
window facing southeast, and our days aren't as short as
yours so my winter tomatoes should be OK.

I'm starting indeterminate seeds - mini-plants - Yellow
Canary. I'll also start a few more Red Robins for winter,
they are determinate, but have been very productive for me.

In the big bay window, I'll have:

Spicy Globe Bush Basil
Yellow Canary Tomatoes (miniature plants)
Red Robin Tomatoes (miniature plants)
A miniature pepper - I forget the variety name at the moment
Tom Thumb Lettuce
My big rosemary plant (can't survive winter outdoors)
Cilantro - I grow cilantro indoors a lot

Anyway, that's the theory. The window ledge is 8' x 2', so
I think all those plants will fit there. I have plant
shelves with fluorescent lights too, in case some don't fit.

Pat