Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Jan Flora

Default What will grow well in containers in shade either now or next spring?

In article , Pat Meadows
wrote:

On 18 Jul 2003 17:02:41 -0700, (simy1)
wrote:

Well, 80% of the new homes built in this country have an HOA, and they
will tell you what you can plant or can not plant. I am surprised that
she was able to put some rasberries in. The things some of my friends
and colleagues have to do to grow veggies... I don't know if they make
me cry or laugh. One of them is so happy, he has been able to grow
zucchini in the front flowerbed for two years now. No one has caught
up with it yet. Another two grow a few sad tomatoes in pots. This
thing alone is worth coping with occasional repairs in our older
homes.

It sure is. I think those things are a terrible abomination
and I would NEVER NEVER buy a house subject to them.

Ne one is going to tell me I can't hang my wash outdoors,
either! Or have my two large dogs.

Fortunately, when we moved to this very rural area, they are
just completely unknown here.

Pat

I'm still ticked off about the San Francisco Police Dept. pulling my
grandmother's poppy plants up in her front yard in 1965. Don't get
me started on HOA's. They're an abomination!

I was going to buy some investment property in this area, but they
all had covenents. One seller said I couldn't have sled dogs out in the
yard. Fine. So I asked him if it would be a problem if I parked my
log truck (a semi with a log dolly) in the driveway. Hell, I almost gave
the guy the vapors! I declined to buy any building lots from him.

We have neighbors out here who would *love* to institute HOA's.
They bought the first lot in a new subdivision, built a log mansion, and
now feel justified to supervise everything that happens in the neighborhood.
They get really torqued when I tell them that they should have bought all
of the lots, if they wanted to control "their viewshed." All of the other
neighbors have dragged old house trailers and outbuildings in, which
gives the log mansion people the vapors and just tickles the rest of us.

My house has tarpaper siding, so people prone to the vapors swoon when
they see this place. It's a 3-story timber-framed house, overlooking a
7-acre lake that we own. (We just haven't gotten around to milling the rest
of the siding yet on the sawmill.) Our saving grace is being in the middle of
220 acres, so no one is allowed to comment on our house without trespassing
or being invited over. And we don't invite people who are prone to the vapors,
since I clean my saddles in the kitchen and pop fixes chainsaws on the kitchen
table. (This is a *working* ranch house, not one you'll see in the fancy
magazines.)

I can't believe people are allowing HOA's to prevail. That's baloney, no matter
how thin you slice it.

Jan