Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
clc

Default What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?

"EvelynMcH" wrote in message
In my garden (northern NJ) it has pretty much stunted their growth. The

only
healthy, normal sized plants I have are a pair of Sweet 100's (cherry

type)
that I planted in a narrow bed next to the house that I normally leave to

the
gladiolas. It faces northwest and gets sheltered from the rain somewhat,

and
normally requires a lot of watering.

Those tomato plants have some fruit starting to ripen, and are normal

height
for this time of year. The rest of the plants, Roma's, Early Girl and more
Sweet 100's, have almost no set fruit and are the height they normally

would be
sometime in early June. Last year, a drought year, I harvested my first
tomatoes in mid-July. This year, I just picked the first ones yesterday!

What a big diappointment. I guess this is what I get for wishing for rain

last
summer!

I agree! We had 16" of rain the first two weeks of July and it really put a
damper (so to speak) on our tomatoes - and peppers as well. Not only a
lower yield, but plants are all coming down with wilt now.

Cheryl