Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Two tomato problems and stegosaurus worm...friend or foe?

Got what I believe are two issues affecting two tomato plants and
found an interesting worm.

First the worm...my first thought was "stegosaurus" :-)
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...saurusworm.jpg
. . . Friend or foe? I'm assuming foe..those white things on its back
can't be good.

first tomato prob...

My Burpee Burger had drainage probs, the lower leaves rotted badly
growth slowed. I fixed the prob and growth resumed rather healthy.
However I just cleaned off a dozen more dead branches. They yellow
then rot right down from the tip to the node where they attach to the
stem. They snap off cleanly at the node with very little pressure.
Lower leaves affected first, plenty of new growth(only on top though)
and new fruit. Haven't been able to spot bugs. The lower portion is
fairly nude and not branching out, but has 8 medium to large
beefsteaks on it and a new flush of small ones up top.

Here is one branch that is on its way.
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...ngbranches.jpg
It will die completely back to the stem. Just a matter of time.

second tomato prob...

just spotted this on Burpee Healthy Kick. Otherwise very lush healthy
plant, dozens of roma tomatoes on it five feet tall bush. Lower
leaves showing probs. Blackish-brown spots developing between veins on
groups of leaves. At first I thought Early Blight, but the spots don't
quite the same as examples I'm seeing on the net. No concentric
circles and they don't border veins at all like Early Blight.
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/tomatospots.jpg
On the underside of the bush, I'm spotting yellowing leaves and one
bigger blotch. Yellowing may be unrelated to spots. They have green
veins..so i'm thinking chlorosis from the heavy rains washing away
nutrients. We have had week+ of soaking rains and little sun.
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...syellowing.jpg

Thanks
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener