Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Pat Meadows

Default What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?

On 08 Aug 2003 22:02:57 GMT, (KK
from NJ) wrote:

Kevin Miller wrote:

split
and the flavor would be on the "watery" side

Exactly, we've had a deluge every afternoon for the last 3 or 4 days. Some
ripening tomatoes split, but ALL the sungold that were starting to ripen split.
Thank goodness the upper part of the plant still has tons of intact green ones.

We're having every-afternoon deluges too, it's been terrible
for about two weeks. Everything is soaked all the time.

My garden is probably better off than most, as the mushroom
soil in the tire-planter raised beds drains quickly, but
it's a morass of weeds - can't get out there to weed. The
grass is about a foot tall - can't cut it, it's always
sopping wet.

This is just a terrible, awful year here for gardening here
in the Northeastern USA. First we had a cold and
catastrophically wet spring (over six weeks without ONE
single day without rain!), and now we're have a
catastrophically wet summer. It's been pretty cool here
too, temperatures mainly in the 70s.

We went to a nearby town (about 30 miles away) to do an
errand yesterday, and saw creeks and small rivers flooding
all over the place.

Pat