Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Kswck

Default What effect would ALOT of rain have on tomatos?

EvelynMcH wrote:

In my garden (northern NJ) it has pretty much stunted their growth. The only
healthy, normal sized plants I have are a pair of Sweet 100's (cherry type)
that I planted in a narrow bed next to the house that I normally leave to the
gladiolas. It faces northwest and gets sheltered from the rain somewhat, and
normally requires a lot of watering.

Those tomato plants have some fruit starting to ripen, and are normal height
for this time of year. The rest of the plants, Roma's, Early Girl and more
Sweet 100's, have almost no set fruit and are the height they normally would be
sometime in early June. Last year, a drought year, I harvested my first
tomatoes in mid-July. This year, I just picked the first ones yesterday!

What a big diappointment. I guess this is what I get for wishing for rain last
summer!

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein

We started picking tomotoes just last week. The cherry/grape tomotoes
are finally taking off, but the Early Girls, etc., are
stunted-presumably from the weather.