Old 09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Shiva

Default RMV... What do you do after?

Julie wrote:
In article , Cass
writes:

There is no such thing as an RMV resistant rose. If you graft an
infected root to a healthy cutting, it will be infected.

I do not know that this is true at all. Rosarians have observed for
years that some virused roses are weak, sickly and damaged, while
others are vigorous, floriferous and viable. Really, there are too many
variables to know exactly what is going on, whether the really sickly
ones have RMV of both the rootstock and the scion, whether some of the
RMViruses are more virulent than others, whether the problems are
caused by rootstock incompatibility. Until testing is more accessible,
we can only speculate what is going on.

Interesting. Are you saying is an RMV infected rose which remains vigoruous,
floriferous and viable "may" be RMV resistant? That is possible.

This entire RMV thread has been most informative.

Julie

I agree, this has been a great thread. I have only one clear case of Rose Mosaic Virus in my
gardens,and it is the Arena Sonia Rykiel I got at a local grocery store a couple
of years back. I say clear case because when stressed by drought and
heat it showed the CLASSIC pattern--not any deficiency, not over-watering, etc.
What is odd about this rose is that it is flourishing in these very
wet conditons we have had this year. It has stayed in bloom and has
had very little blackspot when compared with my other grafted roses, and
has more leaves than any but my ownroot Austins and Don Juan. I KNOW this
rose is virused, but under adverse condtions, with no protection against
insects or black spot, it has done very well when compared with my other
roses. Lends credence to Cass's comments.