Old 09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
MMMavocado

Default RMV... What do you do after?

This quote was made, in a previous posting he

"The following comments are an addendum to the Virus article written by Jeri
Jennings, posted by
Tom Liggett in a discussion group as a follow-up to said article:

U.C. Davis FPMS has LONG (!!!!!) reported that "virus-free" (read that heat
treated/indexed)
plants that were grown in insect-segregated greenhouses saw the spontaneous
re-occurrence of virus
after five years. In my view, there is NO way to remove Mosaic (and mayhaps
other) virus(es) from
plants once they re infected. "

I should point out that after that statement was made, I had a flood of emails
about it, so I called up the folks at FPMS. Talked to several of them,
including Mike Cunningham, head of their rose program. I was assured,
absolutely, that no knowledgeable FPMS employee had ever said any such thing,
and that it was certainly not true, in their experience.

So, either the quote is a direct lie, or (more probably) a gross
misunderstanding of some other statement, enlarged through several generations
of gossip.

Malcolm Manners