Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
brumman

Default Dying den. kingianum!

I think the problem was that I repotted it in spring and then kept it
rather dry, and someone has been looking after it for the past month
and simply misted it every couple of days. There is severe cane
crenation and I don't think any of the keikis have roots big enough to
survive on their own. It is especially disappointing since I had just
successfully propagated a piece of cane from Den. (Michael Sado x
Ekapol) x Rakpaibulsombat - it keikied, and these are now actively
growing, but that stem was nice and plump unlike the thin shrivelled
kingianums.
How big are the roots before you detach the keikis? Are roots without
a green tip alive anyway? On my plant the keikis have several very
short (1-2cm) roots, but only one with a green tip. I am wondering if
it's better to wrap moss around the keiki roots and leave them on the
canes on the dying parent plant, rather like air layering? Would
keeping the plant in a plastic bag create too much humidity? I am in
Southern Ontario and it's quite warm here until october.

"PIETER ZUYDERVLIET" wrote in message . au...
hi Brumman, the way I pot up keikis is to put them in spag moss in a pot
that is as small as possible , I have just started doing this years, keep
the moss moist. when you see new growth then I pot into bark . last year I
done 40 this way & lost 1 I have them scattered around the shade house &
they all seem to grow the same. ps I live in NSW Australia