Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] White Pine

wrote:

In a message dated 8/7/03 3:36:40 PM,
writes:

I understand there are some dwarf cultivars that bud back. Ý Anita
Hawkins tells me she has one..

I tried getting one. Bill took one look at it & said it would never be
suitable for bonsai. I put it in the garden. This is the standard
form, but it was raised nicely.

If you put it in the ground it will take off so quickly you'll never
catch up with it.

That's what I thought.

Marty Haber writes:
If you have an Eastern white pine, you have a headache. Long
needles, hard to transplant, even in spring; and those long internodes
you were mentioning.

This one has been kept sheared, & the internodes are not that long.
With bonsai training, the needles are better than ponderosa pine,
thank you.

snip
Iris

That's the spirit Iris! People always comment on the long needles on
Pinus strobus and turn around and drool over Ponderosa pines with
needles the same length or longer. Go figure.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: