Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM

Default [IBC] White Pine

Maybe the prejudice against this particular species is that it is an
eastern US species, and not western. * It seems as though people go nuts over trees
from the west* but pan the material we have here.

I wouldn't say so. I have tried P. strobus before, & it is not an easy
species. Red maple is no prize either. I would guess that the environmental
conditions out West, high salt content in the soil, erratic rainfall, lack of root
room, etc., contribute to the western species' ability to tolerate bonsai
conditions. On the other hand, poor soil fertility, competition, lack of light, and
ability to withstand overwatering, may make many tropical plants suitable for
growing in the home.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --