Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
MattR

Default ping MatR

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the cat tails and yellow iris. Do you
grow them in dirt or do you use them to filter the water?

I do know some people around here that have had luck with some of these
other things, but their ponds are shaded. I kept a taro plant around
inside and it was doing great this spring but it's one foot in the grave
now. It's been hot here the past month. That, the extra uv, and cool
temps at night might be too much. I've seen great hyacinth but I
remember someone saying hyacinth prefered shade around here.

This makes me want to make that survey I talked about before.

Matt

john rutz wrote:

MattR wrote:

John,

Hmmmmmm. Good idea. I live in Colorado

so your plant needs are quite similar to mine

here is what works for me
wild yellow Iris ( blue flag or louisiana dont die just dont grow )
Cattails both the wild ones and the miniatures
reeds ( not sure which they dont grow like the iris and cattails but do
hang in an d mass gets slightly bigger each year )

85% of my plants are iris and cattail with the miniature cattail and
reeds making up the rest

Taro, Hyacinth, Canna, horsetail rush dont last at all -- too cold at
night for them arowhead and other "cold hardy" flowering plants last
about one season then die off in the following spring just after they
start growing

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at: