Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Matt Helliwell

Default how NOT to plant lilies

*muffin* wrote:

I read this *wonderful* idea of how to plant lilies...
it said use a basket (like a clothes one with holes) line it with burlap,, &
plant the lily... it said it would give more 'air' to the roots & soil, so
you wouldn't get that yucky black smelly planting mix..

wellllllllllll.
seemed good idea.

till I was walking into the pond the other day. ( in case you don't
remember, I cannot SEE the bottom of the pond.so had NO clue). & stepped
into MUCKY thick stuff..........hmmm. I bent over,, picked up the 'pot'...
the burlap was almost GONE there was almost no dirt left IN the
container........ all was left was a BIG clump of rhizomes....plus some dirt
& gravel... all the rest had slid to the bottom of the pond....
arrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok, now what... NO bottom drain, ( wish I read THIS group before putting in
my pond......but my luck the thing would drain for some reason)..

not sure...... but ~'maybe'~ this is the reason my pond is murky??? would
this ever clear up on its own?? do I NEED to figure out how to +suck+ it
out??

I've had a few pots tip over etc into the pond, it all seems to settle
out and sit on the bottom after a few days. Personally I'd leave the
stuff on the pond as it'll give extra places for insects and what have
you to hide and breed.

Somebody will be along in a minute to tell you you should just plant the
lily in a big bucket....

--
Matt Helliwell
www.helliwell.me.uk