Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Veggie filter

"K30a" wrote in message

I've had my grocer order me a case of watercress at a time (10 big

bunches).

I've grown it in the veggie part of my filter by sticking the stems

through
light grid (looks like baby ice cube trays with no bottoms, found at

hardware
centres). It grew like crazy. The experiment ended when the labradors

attempted
to walk on water.
Right now it grows across out low wide waterfall.
The roots just spread out and it is very easy to rip it up and feed it to

the
fish. They will eat whatever I throw in overnight.
It winters over, frozen solid and has even survived a week of 100+F temps

when
we had to turn the waterfall off.
Amazing stuff :-)

Mine has not grown much, but I forgot about its ability to overwinter. I
expect next season I will use a mass quantity of it to jupmstart the VF. On
a side note, my SO doesn't know it yet, but while she is gone all day
Saturday, I am going to IKea. I plan to build some shelves, add some
rubbermaids, a grow light, etc. in my office. I hope to keep a sample of all
plants in my office all winter. Hmm, maybe I can experiment with Lotus from
seeds too?

BV.