Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Axolotl

Default Frog Bogs

"Bern Muller" wrote in
:

"K30a" wrote in message
Hi Heather!

Are you ready for endless frog bogging?
I love my bog!

The frog bog is about 10' by 10' and cost
five pizzas and one James Bond rental to dig.
(we are blessed with lots of boys around here.)
800 gallons.

The idea of a frog bog is very appealing. However, in this day and age
of West Nile Virus, how do you keep mosquitos from breeding
vigorously. In my lilly pond, the fish keep the mosquito larve
population down without depressing the number of frogs around.

I am in Canada and I use a product called Aqua-Bac; the active ingredient
is Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis, which attack the mosquito lava and
is safe for use in ornamental ponds.
I don't know if the product is available or approved for use where you
are, but I do know it is very effective. I had a problem with a section
of my pond where there wasn't much water movement, I applied some of this
stuff to the pond 24hrs later no lava.

Product data sheet is avail as a PDF at
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/in...acBulletin.pdf

Hope this helps