Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Sue Walsh

Default Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours.

I just reread your initial post and while I am not up on all of the
technical pond stuff, I just tried to think logically and this is my 2
cents worth (may be only worth a penny!)

Theory 1: I am wondering if it could be some contamination (bacterial)
of the pump units themselves, which occurred within the initial time
when the self filling unit was off or turned back on again. (The
initial problem with the refill unit may have been what killed the
first fish and then the continuing contamination could have taken the
rest). I have read that you cleaned everything, however I didn't see
where you said you cleaned the pumps. Have you taken the pumps out
and cleaned them and also looked to see if there is anything lodged in
them? If not, these units may be recontaminating the water each time
you refill. To see if this is the problem, you could put water in a
bucket, treat with declor etc, add fish. If fish is ok, WITHOUT
CLEANING THE PUMP add it to the bucket with the same water and fish
still in there (do not plug it in or turn it on which does away with
electrical issues) and see what happens. You may want to use a
battery powered air stone in this test from the beginning to eliminate
oxygen deprivation as an added problem since the time frame will be
fairly long. If fish dies, remove pump and clean and retest, starting
with the water and fish only to make sure fish is OK. Then again add
the now cleaned pump, if fish dies clean it again and retest or
replace it.

In your last test when you did not have any electrical items turned
on, were the pumps still in the pond even thou not turned on? Did you
have them circulate the water before turning off? If so, above
contamination theory may be possible. It seemed to me in the last
test you posted, it took the fish a little longer to die and that may
have been (if my scenario is on target) if the pumps were off, could
be the bacteria was not circulated and that could slow the process of
death. However in this instance it could also have been lack of
oxygen. If you redo this test with or without the pumps, add a
battery operated air stone to do away with the possibility of oxygen
deprivation.

Theory 2: Fish, have all of your test fish come from the same source,
perhaps the fish themselves are the problem. If so, try a new source
of test fish to see if that is the case.

Of course you realize we are all grasping at straws at this time,
especially me without experience here. Anyway that's my penny's
worth…

Sue W

wrote in message ...
(Timothy Tom) wrote:

UPDATE

The pond water was changed (for about the 8th time). All rocks were
removed. A dechlorinator and chloramine remover was added. The water
was mixed and sat overnight. A goldfish was acclimated (sat in bag in
pond 1 hour, followed by adding approx. 1/2 cup pond water to bag,
followed by a cup in 45 min, followed by release into pond 30 min
later. NO electrical devices plugged in. FISH DEAD IN TWO HOURS. I
am now totally at a loss. The only possible variables not controlled
now is the liner in the pond, the pumps leaching some toxic substance,
or the temp in the pond being too hot. As mentioned earlier the same
tap water was used to keep goldfish alive in a gallon container for a
week.