Old 09-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Beetles

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message

"Yamxs850" wrote in message
I seem to have loads of beetles ( I think they are called `slaters`) in

every
corner of the garden, under rubbish bricks etc. Are these beetles a

problem ?Do
they cause damage to plants? and / or wood in houses? How do I get rid

of
them
( I am currently clearing rubbish etc,but I presume they will find a new
habitat in my garden)
I am in Scotland
remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Hi, reading about your beetles I realised what you were referring to as

soon
as you mentioned 'Slaters' and said you were in Scotland.
As an expat Scot I can tell you that what you are calling beetles are
actually WOODLICE sometimes known as 'Pillbugs'. (Called 'Slaters' in

parts
of Scotlan) They are fairly innocuous creatures and generally restrict
themselves to eating rotting decaying wood and plants. Very occasionally
indulging in small seedlings.

They are not only totally harmless, they are one of the essential adjuncts
of a garden. The constitute a very important link in the chain along which
dead plant matter is recycled into compost. Cherish them.

The best way IMHO to deter them is to keep a
very tidy garden with virtually no plant detritus or hidey holes for them
but who has a garden like that? Certainly not me.
Just ignore them as they are part and parcel of garden life and actually
help to recycle dead plant material.

Very much so.

[Franz Heymann]