Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Noydb

Default Catnip

MacTech wrote:

"Catmint" is not the same as catnip, although some people use the names
interchangeably. Catnip has heart-shaped, scalloped, slightly fuzzy
leaves and stalks of tiny white flowers that may have a blue or violet
streak in them, depending upon the soil. It smells only vaguely mint-like
to humans (and has only a mild mint-like taste in tea). "Catmint" has a
more mint-like shiney leaf, blue flowers, and a much more pronounced
minty smell. It does not attract cats as well as catnip, either.

We have wild catnip growing in our area of Wisconsin. Everybody always
calls it "catnip" although it is technically a mint because it has a
square stem. If my husband or I walk through it, when we take our
shoes off, the next thing you know, our cats are licking the shoes,
rubbing against the shoes, draping themselves over the shoes. And this
goes on for hours. They even get into fights over who gets possession
of the shoes. I'd hate to see what would happen if I actually brought
some of the plant inside.

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2. . .
Christmas In Dairyland
To read sample chapters and other stories, click he
http://ruralroute2.com

Hmmm ... I wonder what would happen if you were to rub some in the middle of
the street?

(nasty laugh)

Bill
--