Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 PM
B & J

Default goldfinch - house finch

"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message

Oy, this is getting complicated. John: House Finches aren't the same as

House
Sparrows (formerly known as English Sparrows). House Sparrows are the

birds
that have wreaked havoc on, for instance, bluebirds. (I think you

actually
know this and are just getting names confused.) I'm guessing you were

clearing
House Sparrow (or European Starling) nests out of your martin houses.

House Finches and Purple Finches are closely related species but have

different
although overlapping ranges. It would be unusual (although possible) for

Caryn
to have Purple Finches on Long Island in the summer; it's more likely that

she
has House Finches, which are year-round residents in most of their range

(and
are a protected native species, unlike House Sparrows).

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

You were right that I was wrong. I was confusing the house finch with the
house sparrow, which along with the European starling I detested. Thanks for
pointing out my error!

BTW, in checking out the house finch, I found they were an introduced bird
in the East. Here's a site with some interesting info on them:

http://birds.cornell.edu/BOW/HOUFIN/

John