Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Beetles

The message
from iljunk (Yamxs850) contains these words:

I seem to have loads of beetles ( I think they are called `slaters`)
in every
corner of the garden, under rubbish bricks etc. Are these beetles a
problem ?Do
they cause damage to plants? and / or wood in houses? How do I get rid
of them
( I am currently clearing rubbish etc,but I presume they will find a new
habitat in my garden)

They are woodlice, the only land representatives of crustacea in this
country. They generally live on decaying matter, but will attack plant
roots occasionally.

They used to be boiled to make a shrimp-flavoured broth which was used
by hard-up folk to make sauce for fish. I've never tried it myself.

I am in Scotland

I guessed.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.